About the Digital Citizens Alliance
Digital Citizens is a consumer-focused group whose mission is to raise awareness among the public and policymakers about how to make the Internet safer.
Digital Citizens engages with key Internet stakeholders - individuals, Internet companies, and civic leaders - to search for solutions to Internet safety issues.
Based in Washington, DC, the Digital Citizens Alliance counts among its supporters the health, pharmaceutical, creative and security industries; online safety experts; and other communities such consumer advocates focused on Internet safety.
Over the past five years, Digital Citizens has:
- Worked with creative and security industries to raise consumer awareness on the alarming interconnection between hackers and online pirate websites trying to infect computers and other devices.
- Worked with anti-steroids advocates to raise awareness about the ease these drugs are available online, especially among our nation’s youth.
- Collaborated with the pharmaceutical industry to encourage citizens to properly dispose of opioids and other prescription drugs.
- Conducted investigations of online pharmacies’ willingness to sell prescription painkillers and other drugs to underage teens that don’t have a prescription.
- Worked with security experts on the rampant sale of college .edu emails and passwords belonging to faculty, staff and students at colleges across the country.
- Raised concerns about the blurring of the lines between mainstream digital platforms and the so-called Dark Web, including the sale of stolen credit cards, drugs and merchandise.
- Worked with the legal gambling industry on the rise of so-called Internet sweepstakes cafes in states and their efforts to skirt local gambling laws.
We welcome ideas on how to make the Internet a safer place for all citizens.